PBX Engineering is an electrical, systems, and software engineering firm, with offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Squamish and Kelowna. We develop leading edge systems for municipal infrastructure, transportation, security, buildings, and industrial applications across Canada. Our extensive and diverse project portfolio includes infrastructure that positively impacts the public, as well as numerous award-winning projects.
The Vancouver office requires a Design Engineer to assist senior engineers in delivering projects.
PBX offers a challenging and rewarding environment. PBX employs innovative, critical thinkers who enjoy solving problems through creative and collaborative interaction. The selected candidate should be genuinely interested in participating in the mutually beneficial growth and technical development of a very strong and talented group of engineers and designers. Our diverse workload includes technical areas such as:
- Water and wastewater infrastructure including SCADA systems and Automation
- Power distribution systems including MV/HV substations, low voltage distribution, and grounding systems
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) including lighting design and traffic studies
- Security system design including CCTV, perimeter security, and access control platforms
- Building electrical systems including residential, commercial, and industrial facilities
Working closely with senior engineers , the Design Engineer will be an active member of the Municipal Utilities team, with responsibility for project tasks in the following areas:
- Perform client liaison and project management to support efficient and effective project delivery
- Prepare construction-related contract documentation
- Provide constructability reviews
- Conduct site assessments and equipment condition assessments
- Conduct site inspections, construction progress reviews, and field reviews
- Prepare, track, review, and manage construction documentation (change orders, site instructions, shop drawings, quality management forms, test plans, requests for information, as-built drawings, etc.)
- Oversee contractor quality control and testing activities
- Prepare calculations and simulations; Prepare cost estimates
- Produce drawings
- Prepare specifications, reports, technical memos, and other project documentation and deliverables
- Attend meetings
- Perform system commissioning and troubleshooting
- Develop software
- Manage teams and mentor junior staff, as and when directed
A successful candidate will help support and maintain the company’s large and diverse project portfolio, where opportunities for efficiencies will need to be identified and implemented in order to manage demands related to time and resources as the company grows and workload increases.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for high quality work and who is interested in contributing positively to our corporate culture.
While in addition to experience with the above responsibilities, the qualifications for the position include:
- Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university, or diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology program or equivalent from a recognized technical institute.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Eagerness to learn and a positive, professional attitude
- Able to effectively deal with a high level of responsibility and demanding work schedule
- Knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code
- Strong computer skills including good working knowledge of the MS Office suite
- Eligible for registration with EGBC as an EIT/P.Eng., or as an AScT with ASTTBC, as appropriate.
The PBX Environment
We are a different firm. We believe in supporting the long-term career development of our staff through a diverse and challenging workload, industry engagement, and internal and external training. We apply the same effort in fostering a positive social environment as we do in developing innovative and successful projects. We continuously strive to make our firm the kind of place where people want to stay – and our flexible working from home arrangement, competitive benefits package and approach to compensation are structured to support that goal. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for high quality work and who is interested in contributing positively to our corporate culture.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send their resumes, complete with references, via email to email@example.com. Include “Design Engineer” in the subject line.
Resumes will be accepted until position filled.