PBX Engineering is an electrical, systems, and software engineering firm, with offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Squamish, and Kelowna. We develop leading edge systems for municipal infrastructure, transportation, security, buildings, and industrial applications across Canada. Our extensive and diverse project portfolio includes infrastructure that positively impacts the public, as well as numerous award-winning projects.
The Vancouver office requires an Automation Design Engineer, Technologist, or Technician to work with other engineers in delivering projects.
PBX offers a challenging and rewarding environment. PBX employs innovative, critical thinkers who enjoy solving problems through creative and collaborative interaction. The selected candidate should be genuinely interested in participating in the mutually beneficial growth and technical development of a very strong and talented group of engineers and designers. Our diverse workload includes technical areas such as:
- Water and wastewater infrastructure and industrial systems including SCADA and Automation
- Power distribution systems including MV/HV substations, low voltage distribution, and grounding systems
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) including lighting design and traffic studies
- Security system design including CCTV, perimeter security, and access control platforms
- Building electrical systems including residential, commercial, and industrial facilities
Working closely with other engineers, the Automation Design Engineer, Technologist, or Technician will be a key member of the Automation team, with responsibility for project tasks in the following areas:
- Perform initial site visits and client liaison in support of project definition
- Equipment and system condition assessments and documentation
- Preparation of I&C-specific design documentation, including design criteria, technical specifications, operational and functional requirements, risk assessments and safety function definitions, drawings (ICS network, P&ID, control schematic), bills of materials, cost estimates, reports, manuals and training materials
- Integration, programming and parameter file preparation of PLC’s, HMI’s, SCADA systems, VFD’s and various automation components (controllers, flow sensors, belt scales, etc.)
- Conduct site inspections and software development or construction progress reviews
- Prepare, track, review, and manage construction documentation (change orders, site instructions, shop drawings, quality management forms, test plans, requests for information, as-built drawings, etc.)
- Specify, assist with procurement, setup, program, and test VFD, PLC, HMI, SCADA, ICS network, and database systems
- Oversee contractor quality control and testing activities
- Attend regular project meetings, on site and remotely
- Preparation of test, validation, and commissioning plans
- Execute or oversee system testing, validation, and commissioning
- Manage teams and mentor junior staff, as requested by senior staff
- Travel to site locations as required
A successful candidate will help support and maintain the company’s large and diverse project portfolio, where opportunities for efficiencies will need to be identified and implemented to manage demands related to time and resources as the company grows and workload increases.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for high quality work and who is interested in contributing positively to our corporate culture.
While in addition to experience with the above responsibilities, the qualifications for the position include:
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology program or equivalent from a recognized technical institute; or a degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- Eligible for registration with ASTTBC (Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC) as an AScT.; or eligible for registration with EGBC as an EIT/P.Eng.
- 5+ years of related experience
- Cisco certification or equivalent experience
- Experienced in the architecting, design, and implementation of industrial control systems and networks
- Experienced programming PLC’s, HMI’s, SCADA, databases, and VFD’s
- Familiarity with setup, programming, and commissioning multiple manufacturers of I&C equipment including ABB, Rockwell, Schneider Electric, and Siemens
- Experienced in ICS network design, cybersecurity, and databases
- Experienced with working on live systems in critical processes or high value production facilities
- Experienced or interested in learning about and implementing designs related to machine learning
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills and a positive, professional attitude
- Has a sense of humour, genuinely enjoys what we do for work, and is able to inject levity when appropriate and helpful in difficult situations
- Able to effectively deal with a high level of responsibility and demanding work schedule
- Strong computer skills including good working knowledge of the MS Office 365/Teams/SharePoint suite
The PBX Environment
We are a different firm. We believe in supporting the long-term career development of our staff through a diverse and challenging workload, industry engagement, and internal and external training. We apply the same effort in fostering a positive social environment as we do in developing innovative and successful projects. We continuously strive to make our firm the kind of place where people want to stay – and our flexible working from home arrangement, competitive benefits package and approach to compensation are structured to support that goal. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for high quality work and who is interested in contributing positively to our corporate culture.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send their resumes, complete with references, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Automation Design Engineer, Technologist, or Technician” in the subject line.
Resumes will be accepted until position filled.